CALL: 01273 945040 TO MAKE YOUR BOOKING
STAY CONNECTED TO US:
A Brighton Classic

A slice of history

Preston, as a place name which features large in Brighton with many places carrying recognition of Preston Manor and its rather grand inhabitants over the centuries.

Believed to derive from an Anglo Saxon take on the words “Priests holding” the land to the west and north of Brighton was originally part of the bishopric of Chichester and features in the Doomsday Book.

In the 1830's with the coming of the railway and the building of Brighton Railway Station (finished in 1840) work commenced on extending the lines towards London, Lewes and the surrounding areas and there was a need for labour.

The 1860’s saw demand outstripping supply and an enterprising Postmaster called Daniel Friend who already lived in 'Prestonville' (as the land owned by the Manor was known) bought the land and developed the estate of housing we see now, primarily for railway workers to rent.

Part of his development was the Prestonville Arms which has been a public house ever since first opening in 1863.

General Pages

A slice of history